Monday, April 15, 2013

Green Thumb - Succulent Garden


It was in the 70s and sunny on Saturday, so I dropped Andrew off with a friend (to clarify, we are talking about my husband—we share a car) and set off to plant a succulent garden. I've been looking for something green to go on our problem fireplace for months now, but I'm not very good a keeping plants alive (fingers crossed for the succulents), so I thought this might be a good way to add a pop of green with little maintenance. Last time we had succulents, Ham got onto the kitchen counter (long story) and ate them out of the windowsill. Thus is life.


You need:

A container with a large opening (Martha says a large opening helps prevent accumulation of moisture.)
Succulents
Cactus, palm and citrus potting soil
Stones

These are pretty simple to plant, although one of my little succulents fell apart. I planted a few pieces of it anyway and am rooting for those tiny ones to take root! They're the three small ones that look alike in the photo below.


I ended up arranging these on top of the fireplace, and while it's not quite there yet I think this is a definite improvement! (Check out part one of my house tour for the mantel's last arrangement.) I have plans to put flowers or branches in that brown vase for height. That cute glass frame was an engagement gift from Nikki at the Fashionable Wife! I still love it.


I won that cute A print (by Arian) a few years ago through a giveaway at This Life of Ours. It's the only giveaway I've ever won, though I did win a pair of boots recently in a Pin It To Win It contest. The boots, however, did not make it onto the mantel.
What to do, what to do about that empty space in the middle? Ideas are welcome. Our fireplace tends to collect clutter, so I put a ceramic flower pot up to hold things like wallets, keys, dog leashes, etc.


Did y'all have nice weather this weekend? If so, did you plant anything? Linking up today with Molly and Carly at #YOLOMONDAYS.

4 comments:

  1. Your succulents look great! And so does the mantle! I hope Hammy doesn't eat the plants again... You failed to mention that your frame was an engagement gift from me and your first "A" item for your new last name! So I am mentioning it for you :) xoxo

    As for the space in the middle, something painted would look cool. Or a larger framed something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly had no idea it was that easy! I was planning on buying this cute succulent garden that I had seen on Etsy, but I am definitely going to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see a photo if you make one! It really was easy. My bowls don't have holes in them for drainage, which is supposed to be okay if you don't over water. The whole thing probably cost about $15 to make (for one.)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to make one of these!! I found you through #yolo I too am hosting a blog hop right now, I'd love for you to stop by and link up :)

    xoxo Tori
    http://www.mythriftychic.com/2013/04/anything-everything-blog-hop-5.html

    ReplyDelete